Having taken an international
communications class last year, I am familiar with Edward Said and his theory
of Orientalism, a subject my professor chose to focus on due to its continued
relevance in all aspects of the media. Thus, when I signed up for World
Literature: East & West I was excited of having the opportunity to look at
how orientalism has been applied across the world in literature. I am intrigued
to see the falsified images of the Middle East that have overtime become
accepted as facts and also hope to experience different portrayals of the
Middle East, from nations less influenced by these Western creations.
While
reading Edward Said by Ashcroft and
Ahluwalia the idea of worldliness stuck out to me as a theory of Edward Said’s
that I was unfamiliar with and I was intrigued to think how much worldliness
will be important to each novel we read throughout this semester. It is easy to
forget what is behind a story; each author has an agenda, a message they would
like to spread, that is simply expressed through the story that is told and the
narrative that shapes it (22). These texts have an original intended audience,
but literature is altered as it spreads across the globe since each reader
brings something new to the story; thus as students in a World Literature class
it is important to recognize our own impact on the worldliness of each text.
Since
relationships are continually hostile between the West and certain countries in
the Middle East, Edward Said’s controversial theories regarding fictitious
understandings of the Eastern world are more important than ever before. The
media continually fuels a firestorm of propaganda about the Middle East that
people continually believe is true. Thus, by reading an introductory guide to
Edward Said I feel we as students are learning how to overcome pre-conceived
notions we have about the Middle East that we can apply not just to literature,
but to the news reports we encounter on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.