Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Edward Said Videos

Greg Stewart
1/23/13

     I am very excited about this class, it is most definitely my favorite class this semester.  I look forward to reading and analysing the works of text that focus on the parallels between the east and west, as well as how they differ and why they differ.  It is quite interesting to here Edward Said actually speak on the topic of Orientalism in the videos that were sent to us.  Hearing him convey his ideas in person makes it much clearer what exactly it is that he is talking about.  I hadn't really pondered the idea that we had always viewed other cultures through a lens.  Seeing his evidence that supports his theory that there is a lens of orientalism has opened my eyes to how we interpret the cultures of others and how we have been doing it wrong for years.  That makes me wonder why no one has tried to reverse the effects of orientalism.  It seems that we are stuck in a cycle that revolves around the misinterpretation of the east by the west and the west  by the east.  I thought the ideas that he brings up that Gramci wrote were very interesting; the idea of trying to understand the history of ourselves in relation to others and understanding others in relation to ourselves, through an unbiased lens in order to try and solve the problems between different cultures.  Edward Said's application of these ideas to the relations between the Palestinians and the Isrealites is very practical, he even says that as a Palestinian refugee, he understands how it feels to be kicked out, and that he does not believe that the Jews in Israel should be kicked out, but he believes that there is room for coexistence in this world.  It is news to me that the lens of Orientalism in America is so strong.  Said's story with the Oklahoma City Bombing makes it apparent that everyone in America is quick to jump to conclusions about terrorist attacks.  It is absurd to hear that the FBI calls random Middle Eastern people when they do not know who to blame.  I am a bit appalled by the fact that the news jumped immediately to Middle Eastern suspects, when it actually turned out to be an American born psychopath who had no ties to the Middle East at all.  I don't think this problem has gotten much better, especially since 9/11.  I hope that we can further discuss this topic in class and maybe possible solutions to such a gross issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.