While watching the video Edward Said I was surprised to see how much I fell into the trap of orientalism. Although I have always thought of myself as an accepting and non-prejudiced individual, I realized that I share some orientalist views. Edward Said mentioned that often Westerners make the mistake of lumping all Eastern people into one category and assuming they all share the same culture. In the same way that we know America is split into different counties, the East is also split into different countries each with their own history and culture.
I found it interesting that the video discusses how people of the East are considered cowardly and weak by Western standards because they aren't modernized. While I agree that the view is that the East is often viewed as ancient or less than modern, I do not agree that they are considered weak. Edward Said mentions that this may have been a tactic used by Westerners to encourage American imperialism. However, in my opinion, Western media propagates a barbaric and aggressive East. I have often watched horror movies set in Eastern Europe that show Eastern people as murderers, thieves, and black market traders. In one movie, Hostel, it shows Eastern Europeans kidnapping and selling American lives to be tortured and killed for entertainment and profit. Although I know this movie shows an exaggeration, I am ashamed to say that I have been afraid to travel to Eastern Europe ever since.
I believe that because Westerners have wanted to claim the title as superior to other countries, we have created this orientalism to make ourselves feel justified in overpowering them. The West created this stereotype that the East was weak to make them seem like they aren't a threat. In addition to making them appear weak, this image of a murderous East that is uncivilized and barbaric was created in comparison to the cultured West to perpetuate the idea that the West is superior.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.