I
really enjoyed the first half of Tariq Ali’s Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree. The plot was easy to get into; it was really interesting
to hear about the Inquisition from the Islamic perspective. I learned about it in school, and though we didn’t
exactly gloss over the abuse the Muslims endured, it seemed like it had
happened in a whole different time.
Reading it from the perspective of someone who lived through it, even
though it is a fictional account, made it seem a lot more real. I think that students would benefit from
reading this during their lesson on the Inquisition, because it offers a whole
new angle to the same story.
Ali also included
a quite shocking back story. It was a
little hard to follow at times, because it seemed as if the characters were
discussing family gossip spanning back from the age of their great-grandfather,
but it was riveting nonetheless. I was glad
the book did not focus solely on the historical events; the family drama aspect
of the plot provided a nice balance.
I
was a little confused by the names of the characters. A lot of them were very similar, like
Zubayda, Zuhayr, and Zahra, and Asma and Ama.
Also, a few of the characters are referred to by different names; Ama is
also called Amira, the Archbishop is called Ximenes and Cisneros (his first and
last name) interchangeably, and Wajid al-Zindiq used to be called Mohammed ibn
Zaydun. However, I can only assume that
this was common to the Islamic culture in the fourteenth and fifteenth
centuries, so I am glad that Ali kept the names historically accurate, even
though it was a little harder to read.
The
book was also told from many different points of view. The prologue completely revolved around
Ximenes de Cisneros, and then jumped to Yazid’s point of view in the first
chapter. I assumed the book would remain
entirely in Yaxid’s childlike perspective, but it closely follows both Umar and
Zuhayr, his eldest son; Cisneros also plays a major role throughout the book,
as he started off the action in the story.
Surprisingly, the different points of view added to the plot rather than
detracting from it, at least for me. It
was a very effective way to not only show the drama and violence of the time period,
but also how it affected different generations.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.