Having
read the first half of Tariq Ali’s Shadows
of the Pomegranate Tree, I am glad to say that last week’s intense readings
on Edward Said and the theory of Orientalism, is beginning to make a lot more
sense. I love that we are able to
apply these theories to a text that is not simply a fiction novel, but one that
holds a vast amount of historical truth as well. I have always been fascinated by historical fiction in that
it is not purely pages upon pages of dry history, but that the reader is able
to identify and truly feel the persona of realistic characters who may in fact
be based off of real people. In
terms of the first half of Shadows of the
Pomegranate Tree, as I discovered today in class that a majority of the
novel is in reality extremely historically accurate, even including its
characters.
What
stood out to me originally that sparked my interest in the historical
legitimacy of Ali’s novel, was when in class we discussed the ways in which
Christian members of society were able to pick up on the ways in which newly
“converted” Muslim’s and Jew’s were not genuinely converted at all. This façade could easily be identified
by the Christian authority during the Inquisition, due to their knowledge of
Muslim and Jewish traditions. For
example, it is a cultural practice that Muslim’s must obtain a physical purity
meaning cleanliness of the body; therefore they are constantly practicing good
hygiene. The Christian’s
recognized this immediately seeing as they cleaned themselves far less often. This example was prevalent in the novel
and at first I did not truly understand it. I believe it is Ama who initiates a conversation with Yazid
on how terribly their great-uncle Miguel smell’s due to his newly converted
religion of Christianity. On page ten she explains, "Now he smell's like a horse's stable". They use
his awful smell as a way to make fun of him for essentially abandoning his
cultural and religious practices.
Furthermore, I was extremely interested in the public bathhouse as a
cultural practice, which I feel continues along the same lines of maintaining
physical purity.
The
bath house is not really a huge setting for the novel, but I do feel that it
plays some relevance in discussing the cultural practice of the books
character’s, as well as it is relevant to the Inquisition as a whole. The architecture from this period was
greatly luxurious, and I feel that Ali does an exquisite job in vividly
describing it. He includes all
aspects known of this time period, including the bathhouse, the beautiful
gardens, and the extravagance of the Abdallah’s overall palace. Each of these settings I feel hold and
essentially represent the heart of their culture and religion, tailored and
crafted to fit it impeccably. For
their great-uncle to come in and simply request that they throw this all away
and take on an entirely new identity, it is unfathomable. How could they even escape their
previous traditions and identity if it is in essence surrounding them? This question becomes a bit ironic in
that following the inquisition, this basically happens. What used to belong to an entire sect
of people, has been simply renamed and given re-ownership to someone completely
new. Yet, the remains from its
past are absolutely still present as an always lingering palimpsest.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.