Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Disappointed in terrorist

The ridiculous stereotypes presented in "Terrorist" disappoints me, to say the least. In class, we discussed the credibility issue with the media and prominent authors - all who are influencing the thoughts of others in one way or another. Like Rushdie, I thought Updike was being ironic in the first part of the novel. Ahmed is a moody teenager, Mr. Levy is a tired guidance counselor and Terr-ible, Terr-ific Terry was an American. All encompassed stereotypes - a terrorist, a Jew, a hippy American, oh and can't forget the eat-your-feelings out American represented by Mrs. Levy. I thought for sure that Updike was trying to be ironic here. All countries and groups of people have their stereotypes, but I thought he was going to break these stereotypes. I imagined Ahmad growing up to be a successful truck driver - no this is not the American Dream, but it is success nonetheless. I imagined Mr. Levy getting caught by his wife, ultimately leading him down a path of reflection and appreciation for Ahmed's ambition. I imagined Terry finding the strength to get rid of Mr. Levy and free herself of the need of male support. All of these characters were a let down. How predictable. The Muslim boy Ahmed (madman as Charlie calls him) is so passionate about Islam, naturally he would be sucked into a terror plot...right. Mr. Levy lays on the Jewish guilt, ultimately persuading him to not blow up the tunnel - letting little freckle faced girl in the Volvo survive. I couldn't put this book down because I thought Updike was going to eventually go against these stereotypes. I was thoroughly disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.